at the Entrepreneurship Symposium
If you're a San Francisco State University student with an innovative business idea or a startup, you are invited to submit an application for a chance to be selected to participate in our Pitch Competition, where $8,500 dollars in cash prizes will be awarded to three winners. The selected teams will also receive coaching from our experts.
Application Open: Friday, March 1, 2019
Application Close: Friday, April 5, 2019, 11:59 p.m.
Acceptance Notification: On or before April 19, 2019
Innovation Pitch Competition Day: Friday, April 26, 2019 (part of the Entrepreneurship Symposium, see agenda here)
What's at Stake?
To foster hands-on learning, we will be awarding three cash prizes:
- First place prize: $5,000
- Second place prize: $2,500
- Third place prize: $1,000
Pitch Application Criteria
- The founder or co-founder must be a San Francisco State University student.
- Our pitch competition is open to business ideas and startups from all industries and at any stage in the startup cycle.
To participate in the Innovation Pitch Competition, please complete the online application form below and submit it no later than Friday, April 5, 2019.
Business Pitch Application Process
Submit Application: Applications are accepted only through the website. Please complete and submit the short application form and append a PowerPoint presentation (no more than 10-15 slides) that lays out the following information:
a) Your company information: Name, logo, and any other branding elements you have available.
b) Who is involved: What makes you the entrepreneur or founding team to bet on driving a home run with this valuable solution?
c) The problem you are solving and for whom: Define your target user and the problems/needs they have.
d) Your solution and your product concept: Showcase your concept by demonstrating how it solves the problems or meets the needs of the target user.
e) Competitive advantages: How is your product better than existing solutions out there?
f) Traction: What testing have you done? What is the feedback from user engagement? What is the trajectory of your growth? Provide as much information as you have at this stage.
g) Market size: How many potential users are out there and what is the market-share you aim for? Provide any metrics you have available from both primary and secondary data.
h) Business Model: What is the basic business model for acquiring customers and generating revenues?
i) Basic financial forecast: The team should provide some basic forecasting information about the financial viability of your startup. Examples include sales projections, costs, burn rate, breakeven point, and how many users you need to make a profit.
j) Use of funds: How much investment are you seeking and what are you going to do with the money?
- Application Review: Applications will close at 11:59pm on Friday April 5, 2019. A committee of seasoned entrepreneurs will review submissions.
- Selection: Three finalists will be chosen and notifications will be sent by Friday, April 19, 2019. The selected teams will be invited to pitch at the Innovation Pitch Competition on Friday, April 26, 2019. Free admission to the Entrepreneurship Symposium is included for the entire team.
For additional information, please contact Manny Nungaray, Executive Director of Development & Campaign Operations.