If you are a currently registered San Francisco State University undergraduate or graduate student with an innovative business idea or a startup, you are invited to compete in the Fourth Annual SFSU Innovation & Entrepreneurship Pitch Competition. This year, the top three pitches will share in $10,000 dollars in cash prizes!
- First place: $6000
- Second place: $3000
- Third place: $1000
Whether your entrepreneurial idea is still in the ideation phase or ready for angels and seed, this is a great opportunity to get feedback from seasoned entrepreneurs, investors and business faculty. Put your idea to ‘paper’ and see if it’s got wings to take off! (A little prize money doesn’t hurt either!)
Application Close: Wednesday, March 31, 2021
Acceptance Notification: On or before April 1, 2021
Innovation Pitch Competition Day: Friday, April 2, 2021
How It Works
To enter the competition:
- Application entries are now closed.
- All entries will be reviewed, and finalists will be notified via text and email on April 1st, before 5 p.m.
- Selected entries will be invited to present live, in front of a panel of judges on April 2nd from 2 – 4 p.m.
- Winners will be announced at the closing ceremony of the Fourth Annual Innovation & Entrepreneurship Symposium on April 2nd at 4:30 p.m.
Entry & Evaluation Criteria
- The founder or co-founder must be an enrolled San Francisco State University student.
- This pitch competition is open to business and entrepreneurial ideas and startups from all industries and at any stage in the startup cycle.
The preliminary round of judging will focus on finding a compelling and convincing innovation or entrepreneurial story, based on what is presented on a 10-15 side pitch deck (PDF and PPT only, please). In the past, the most successful entries have demonstrated the following:
- A clear value proposition for a clearly defined target market. Who is the prototypical consumer of your innovation, and why would they pay for your solution? What problem of theirs does your innovation solve? What need(s) does your innovation fulfill?
- A clear explanation of how you are able to solve the consumer’s problem. How or why does your solution work? What enables your solution to fulfill customer needs better than anything/anyone else out there?
- Traction in the marketplace. Is there demonstrated product-market fit? Do you have evidence that your idea or prototype is desirable to, adopted by, or sought after by a market?
- A well-articulated revenue model. How does this innovation generate revenue? What recurring revenues streams are created? Who’s paying, and how are they paying for your offering?
- A founding team that is set up for success. Does the founding team have the right technical expertise to execute on the innovation? Is this something that the founders will continue to pursue after graduation?
Application Open: March 9, 2021
Application Close: March 31, 2021, 5 p.m.
Acceptance Notification: On or before April 1, 2021 at 5 p.m.
Pitch Competition Day: Friday, April 2, 2020 at 2 - 4 p.m. (part of the Entrepreneurship Symposium)